Lapping and polishing is used to achieve a specific surface finish, flatness and parallelism. During the lapping process, revolving flat surfaces abrade the part with a silicon carbide or aluminum oxide. The surface finish is controlled through selection of the proper abrasive, pressure and lapping cycle.
- Small thin parts are easily handled
- Thermal distortions are virtually non-existent
- Clamping distortions are a thing of the past
- Brittle parts are easy to run because of the gentle grinding action
- Flatness: 1 Light Band (11.6 millionth of an inch)
- Parallelism: 0.0001 inches
- Size Control: ±0.00015 inches
- Finishes: As low as 4 Ra and 2 or better with our Diamond lap
Double Side Lapping
When both sides of a part can be processed simultaneously, our double-sided lapping machines can achieve flatness, parallelism and micro-finish much faster than single-face lapping systems.
Lapping both sides at the same time means less part handling and less time in the machine.
- Higher production rates
- Greater size control: ±0.00001
- Better parallelism: 0.00001 of an inch
- Flatness: 0.00001
- Finish: 5 microinch